I recently delved into the depths of my E-PL1′s menu to see if there was anything in there I hadn’t seen or tried out. Sure enough, I came across the in-camera double exposure feature which I’d heard of, but never really thought about using.
About a year ago, I got into Lomography in quite a way and bought up some older film cameras (35mm), both SLR and compact types. I always wanted to have a go at double exposures but never really got around to it.
So with this feature already built in to the E-PL1, it was a simple matter to go out and try some shots.
Here are some of the better results.
It’s a lot easier than doing it with film, mainly because you see what the first frame looks like on the screen, and the second frame gets positioned over it. So you can see exactly where you want to position the second frame.
Of course, you could also do this in Photoshop, GIMP, or other such software, but I like the idea of doing it in-camera right then and there. Sort of keeps it true to the old fashioned way I suppose.
Had some fun around the garden last week. I bought myself a 5-way reflector and wanted to try it out, then moved on to some flash work in broad daylight:
Taken with available light, Olympus E-PL1 with Kit lens, gold reflector to the right and slightly behind reflecting the sunlight from behind the camera back onto the flower. Here’s the setup shot:
Then, I moved onto pure flash work:
Pen E-PL1, YN560 on a stand camera left.
Saw this dead leaf hanging by a thread from the doorway of our garden shed. E-PL1, Kit lens, YN560 handheld off to camera left. The same setup was used for the following pictures also:
Caught this big drop of rain after a shower in one of the big leaves of this plant (I’ve forgotten the name of it):
That week, my parents were over to visit from the UK. We took them for a lovely walk around the Dietrichsburg in Melle, which has a Wild Boar Park on it’s grounds. But these Foxgloves were more stunning than the local pigs ;0)
Both the above were taken with the PEN and the kit lens in available light.
And to finish off, here’s the Dietrichsburg itself:
We even got luck and stumbled upon a load of boars…
There are more pictures of the wild boars on my Flickr stream.
All images processed with Olympus Viewer2 and RAWTherapee.
After launching myself into the world of the Strobist by starting the Strobist Lighting 101 course online, I came across an article on the site describing a lighting setup for photographing glasses of Vodka for a product shoot.
Since I needed to make some good photos of some of the work I’ve been doing at the company recently, I borrowed the idea and made my own mini lighting setup from an old copy paper box and a sheet of copy paper, as described in the article.
Here’s my setup shot for the shoot:
Since I don’t own a snoot yet, I improvised and made one out of some cardboard left over from the little lightbox I’d made earlier. This worked a treat. Here are some of the results.
They aren’t perfect, but good enough and way better than any of the results we usually get from product development. In case you’re wondering, they’re shots of a new pressing system for dental ceramics we are working on. Usually you would press single dentures with this, but for our tests, we were only interested in the surface texture, so we used a standardised object instead of real crowns.
I can definately recommend a visit to Strobist, there is loads of useful information there!
Nikon D3000 with Nikkor 35mm F1.8G AFS lens, Yongnuo YN560 speedlight with Yongnuo wireless transmitter/receiver, self-made snoot, Setup shot with the Olympus Pen E-PL1.